Monday, November 22, 2010

Patience -- A gift to yourself and others.........

Try it on, perhaps, see how it feels. Everything new feels a bit awkward. I put on a pair of new sneakers this week, and they were much better looking than the old pair for starters. And, they felt comfortable, cushy and soft. And, they felt a bit awkward, as they were very different from the old pair. Not "bad" awkward, simply different awkward.

Patience can feel like both - "bad" awkward and simply different awkward. It will depend on the area that you are testing patience in. With sneakers not as noticeable, as when taking steps to change behavior.

For example, are you in line at the mall during the holiday. Where does patience show up then? Not at all, most likely, because there is no room as agitation and annoyance begin to flow higher and higher within our visibility and awareness. Or are you driving to work, or listening to someone else talk, in a challenging relationship, taking care of others such as small children or parents.

The last six months has been an interesting time for me. From my Christian perspective God gave me the opportunity for a lesson, and I decided to dive in and see what would happen.

Thank you all for being patient as I have taken steps and been doing other things. For one, speaking more, and writing less.

Happy Monday before Thanksgiving.

As the holiday season progresses I will be blogging about patience and the lessons I have learned. The first lesson is to make room for it. Like anything else - take a look at your closet or the garage. Is there room for new clothes or the car?



1 comment:

Kathleen Richardson said...

Susan,

I wanted to publicly thank you for your support on my blog "One Woman Over Sixty" (formerly On Your Way to the Top). I've put that blog on hold for now, so you'll want to remove the listing from your blog page. In the meantime, I'm concentrating on http://CorningNYstepbystep.blogspot.com and invite you to look in on it once in a while.

Your blog entries continue to be thought-provoking and insightful. Keep writing.

Kathleen