Saturday, April 12, 2008

CONNECTION OR QUICK FIX

There are a myriad of choices people make in a day. They can become quick choices -- the choice is made, move on, all is well.

There is another choice that can become an experience. I was going to send flowers to my mom in the hospital the other day. The first thought arrived to quickly stop by Wegman's, grab some flowers and show up for a visit. Hmm, not bad, I would get "points" for both.

Yet, my mind quickly switched to Kittelberger's Florist in Webster. Wow - 25 minutes at least there, then 25 min. more to the hospital.

Then -- I thought about the original choice. I wanted to give my mom flowers to brighten her day. That was the intention. The total thought was about my mother, and not about me. She has no interest in the bit of care that fresh flower arrangement need.

My time is important, yet doing it quickly would not respect my original thought.

Kittelberger's is also an amazing location. It is full of plant life and smiley, happy people's energy surrounded by brilliant colors and fresh aromas. When I arrived there were men, women, and children, and their bright chatter entered my ears. Again I was hooked in the experience.

The perfect artificial arrangement became visible. Soft, pink flowers are arranged in a glass vase with artificial water. I wandered slowly, enjoying the journey, toward the counter to pay. At the counter a woman arrived to check on flowers she had ordered for her son's wedding rehearsal dinner that evening. She admired my choice, and then we were connected. Then she saw the flowers she ordered. They were a selection of brilliant blues, with purple, white, and deep pink in a clear vase. Her eyes glistened with tears of delight, as those around her joined in the moment listening to her plans and her joy.

This was truly a connection, and I walked away with a treasure for my mom and a heart full of joy.

So many choices quickly slip into action with little thought or attention. Some can be richer with a bit of consideration.


"Squeeze the joy from every minute, as time does not return, yet memories do."


No comments: