Thursday, April 24, 2008

TORTOISE AND THE HARE ??????

"Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out."
James B. Conant, Chemist, Diplomat, Educator 1893-1978

Hi everyone - I was posting so often, that almost a week seems to me like a long time. I've been sticking my neck out with success. I picked a target (goal) and took steps to achieve that goal. I stuck my neck out to apply, get the interview, sell myself by being myself, and then being offered the day job that I wanted. I regard that as not only progress, yet success also.

In thinking of this quote, I thought about not only progress, yet as I was making progress, when would I feel successful. I asked one person who got a job offer and accepted same, if she felt successful. She said, "Oh, no, I have not done the job yet, or gotten a raise, ...." or, or, or, or.
The or, or was not said, it was interpreted. I was not coaching her, it was simply a question.

So, when I heard the or, or, or -- I thought, wow, when does she appreciate her accomplishment and acknowledge and celebrate what she has done. Then she could regroup and then create another target (goal) with renewed energy. When I recalled how her voice sounded, it was rather quiet with no sense of energy.

Suggestion: Are you setting your goals or standards too high without mini celebrations inside the package? Note I say without mini celebrations. I loudly applaud people who set high goals and targets, yet sometimes in execution they are missed simply due to lack of energy or focus. It is not because of talent or possibility. It can also be missed because they don't start.

Set mini targets and goals to start within a larger picture. As you celebrate your accomplishments the larger goal or target will become clearer and clearer. The larger goal or target will more likely be reached, as you will maintain the energy, focus and vision to climb to the top rung.

"Squeeze the joy........."



No comments: