Friday, July 18, 2008

"How The Way We Talk Can Change The Way We Work"

The title line contains the name of a book by Robert Kegan & Lisa Laskow Lahey. I am reading it right now. It is not a new book.

If you are a person who is working and grumbling, I suggest this book. If you are a grumbling manager or manage a group of people who are grumbling and complaining, I suggest you read this book. I have not gotten past the first chapter, and I want to re-read it. This book may have to be a purchase.

Even those people who complain with a sense of humor. The one everyone laughs at and with. Complaints, etc. will undermine productivity, creativity, and the process of simply finding joy in every second.

I'm still around, simply into projects and the summer. Tennis lessons, bible study, coaching clients, are all things I truly enjoy. I am very grateful. How about you?

Suggestion: What are you grateful for? Consider choosing 5 things for your home environment. Then, separately, choose 5 things for your work environment. If not difficult - pick 5 more. Difficult? Pick 5, then wait 5 days, revisit those 5. Then be more clear, more concise on what you are actually grateful for. It might change. Don't let this be difficult in itself. Whatever pops into the head the first time through, write it down.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Goodmorning Susan this is Roy your blogs just keep getting better and better. Actually my wife and I at the end of each night spend around 10 mins or so with out children we have 2 girls and a boy and go around the room asking them what are they greatful for.

This is such a pleasant time that we have to share with one another and the kids enjoy it and it's nice spending some quality time with all of us since everybodys schedule is very busy. Yet without fail we make the time for our family at the end of each day.

Oh---I will have the calculations to you shortly just got back from a business trip they are still coming.

Keep up the outstanding job any word when your starting your book..

Enjoy

Anonymous said...

Good afternoon Susan-Rosemarie here

I have to tell you that you are such an inspiration that our family loves your blogs. We read them and then my husband and my daughter we take time to sit down and share with each other what we are grateful for.

Ever since my husband read about slowing down to save gas now it's become a weekly event who can save more it's been so much fun that the last 2 times I've beat my husband by going an extra two and he had to fill up before I did. We laugh about that often.

We have even gone in each of our cars on the expressway staying even with one another and if one start to get ahead then we kick it back to get even again. This is the gas game we play.

Thank you for writing your blog post and we think your a wonderful person.. Look forward to more