Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Avenue D Reading Program

Previously, I have not had a redo of a blog post. This one, to me, is deserving or at least is worth another post from my perspective. I just returned from a visit to the Avenue D Reading Program. Wow - I am going back again, as often as I can. Here is the website:

http://sites.google.com/site/avedreading/Home

Yes, it is in an area that most people would rather not be in. Yet the kids are there not by their own design. In effect they are prisoners of their surroundings, or could believe that and behave that way. Yet these kids (various age groups) are reading, learning, and smiling and singing. They are getting positive feedback and reinforcement. They are receiving and accepting boundaries. They are getting snacks and meals, and they are beginning to thrive within themselves.

This program needs people - the children need people. For those in the Rochester area who have the time, and would like to get more information, please don't hesitate to email me at itsyourlifenet@yahoo.com. I can meet you there, perhaps if you are uncertain. I can answer questions and/or connect you with others.

This is a very, very, very special program. So much is being done with books. It is not just about books; however, that is the attraction, the connection the draw.

The hours are Mon - Fri. 3:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m. I know it is difficult if you have a full-time job. However, if there is anyone who finds they have perhaps, 3 months available, please consider it. Today I learned a bit about Pokeymon, and I look forward to what else I will learn by getting involved.

OK - off my soapbox, and thanks for listening. If this did not speak to you, if you would like to tell me what you want to hear, I will also be glad to listen and oblige.
Thank you to all who read this blog, you inspire me.

No comments: