Sunday, June 22, 2008

THINK GREEN - TOPIC B

HELLO EVERYONE -- The term THINK GREEN is now becoming overused for many lame causes and products, yet, it is a well known "PHRASE" for taking steps to create a more ecologically sound world -- I will use it.

Here is the suggested challenge. It may sound like a simple task, yet I challenge you to do it cheerfully, happily and for a whole day. Recently I wanted to create a bumper sticker to be placed on the bumper or back window. It will say - "I am driving my car, please, relax and drive your own."

I'm not suggesting that there aren't drivers on the roads that aggravate or don't need a lesson or two on how to drive. Yet, really, what does getting mad, or driving too fast, or blowing the horn, or my pet peeve, tailgating do to change THEIR driving habits.

Just like someone putting on the brakes, driving slower and all the other silly things people do to try to get someone to stop tailgating, or cutting them off, etc. They don't work either to change the habits of others.

When each and every person begins to drive respectfully, the roads will be safer and a greener place to drive. Tonight I watched as a car passed on the outside shoulder of the road, and cut in front of me. He then crossed two lanes of traffic to tail gate a car, changed lanes twice then managed to cross back over three lanes and get off at the next exit. He left the expressway right in front of me, and I did not change lanes once. Think of all the people he annoyed, and disrespected. All that shuffling got him nowhere faster.

If each person would respect others for who they are, and allow people to be who they are, they would be less agitated, and there would be less accidents on the roads.

I recently learned, acknowledged, and simply realized that when I allow people, whether they are in line at the grocery store, or a car on the highway, to make their own mistakes, my life has gotten so much better. I am saving gas by not racing to keep someone from cutting me off. I'm more relaxed driving, and the music sounds better on the radio. I also find I am out of the equation when there is an accident, as I have removed myself from many precarious situations by simply allowing space.

Suggestion: Pick a day, and stick with it. All day, consider what you are doing to be important, yet, also respect other peoples' right to do that they are doing. Even if you think it "stupid" or whatever word you use. Use the thoughts -- "It is ok for me to drive my car, and it is ok for them to drive their car, even if they drive differently." Or, perhaps you discover words or a phrase that means something to you.

My wish for you all is safe, relaxed driving today and every day.



5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan it's Brian I'm one of your favorite readers from SU. Our area had a day where we went to go pick up garbage in the different area parks that's just on the ground. Myself and others want the parks to be beautiful and full of energy without having the garbage poluting the area and depleting the energy source.

Many people thought we were crazy to being doing it yet our group did not respond to other peoples comments that's there choice and this is ours which we feel real proud of doing it and making the world a better place and having not having to breathe in the ordors from the garbage. Every little bit helps on having our sources of energy restored and continued.

Glad you wrote about this topic I know what you mean about the cars on the highway. I started going slower and I can see the difference it makes on saving gas and now a days if it works then I will do.. Great job

Anonymous said...

Jason----Thanks for this post as a bunch of my friends and I were talking to try driving slower and see if it makes a difference and this really does work I'm able to go about and extra day and sometimes 2 extras days from my normal filling up every 4 days now I'm able to go about a week or slightly over before I have to fill up again. Great topic and it's important for everyone to realize this. We have to come up with our own way of doing things to conserve and if there are more ways out there I would love to hear about them. Love your post I have read them all and I'm a loyal reader.

Anonymous said...

Liz--I agree with your blog we need to change our ways of doing things. I think people should try using other means of trasportation. Ride your bike to work, take the bus. Perhaps if people did not purchase gas for say maybe a few day or a week across the board perhaps they would attempt to lower the gas. It's terrible that your working to just put gas in your car. You also most need another job to pay for other items

Anonymous said...

Jim ---so glad you posted this topic it's imporatant that all of us try and conserve as much as we can and come up with other ways to doing so. This topic is important to me...Let me know if you hear of any other ways of conserving. Like the rest of your blogs also. I visit every other day. Keep up the great job.

Anonymous said...

Goodmorning Susan---this is Brenda and I have to share with you that I've tried your suggestions by slowing down on the expressway and it's truly amazing how you do save on gas. I'm able to go an extra 3 days before I have to fill up again. You post holds valuable information and thanks so much for the idea.

Love the rest of the post also and do you have a book out was not sure as I did a search and nothing came up.

One of your followers I visit every other day. Great job