Friday, October 26, 2007

MAKE FRIENDS WITH YOUR WORST WEAKNESS

Friday, March 9, 2007

Yeah, it is FRIDAY, and a very pleasant change of pace for a bit of time. I thought today about releasing the hold that "bad" habits have on us, such as procrastination, impatience, laziness, sloppy, etc. Labels that others have presented to us. If you have accepted that to your persona, it is your choice, then it becomes a part of who you are. It is added to the list of things that you are tolerating.

With my "bad" habit of impatience, I created a response --“Although I may appear to be impatient, it is my operating system that works faster than some others. Please let me know when I’m speaking or moving too quickly for your comfort.” This response acknowledges the topic, does not become attached to me with the word "appear" and let's the listener know that I understand and value the methods of others. Then a conversation can take place, and the day continues evolving forward. It avoids a mode of confrontation and avoids anger, bitter words, and slamming doors (an old favorite of mine).

It also takes away the "charge" of impatience, and it tends to fade away into the background.

Happy Weekend!

No comments: